I posted this on Facebook - sorry for the repeat if you've already seen it.....

***********************************************************************

Photo courtesy of Whole Foods Market   


Eli is sick today and Nandi doesn't feel well, so I thought I'd better see how Noah was feeling, too...

"How are you feeling Noah?"

S-I-C-K

"You feel sick?"

Y-E-S

"Where does it hurt?"

N-O-S-E

"Does anything else hurt?"

S-T-O-M-A-C-H

"I'm so sorry. Would a pospsicle make it better?"

Y-E-S

"What flavor?"

N-O-T G-R-A-P-E

"Okay, orange or cherry?"

O-R-A-N-G-E

5 minutes later...

"Do you feel better now?"

N-O

"What would make you feel better?"

B-A-N-D-A-D-E

"A bandaid would make you feel better?"

Y-E-S

"But you're not bleeding."

N-O

"But it'll make you feel better?"

Y-E-S

"What kind of Bandaid?"

S-N-O-O-P-Y

"And where do you want me to put it?"

S-T-O-M-A-C-H

"So, let me get this straight. A Snoopy Bandaid on your non-bleeding stomach will make you feel better?"

Y-E-S

So I proceed to put a Snoopy Bandaid on his stomach... and he tears it off and tries to eat it.

"Noah, why did you tell me you wanted a Bandaid if you were going to turn around and eat it?"

C-A-N-T H-E-L-P I-T.

(Lightbulb moment).

"How did it make you feel to get a bandaid?"

N-O-R-M-A-L

Noah challenges my belief system everyday. I wish every parent of a nonverbal child - especially with autism - would realize that our kids are in there. They're normal, typical children on the inside... wanting popsicles and bandaids, just like every other kid in the world.

0 comments:

Popular Posts

Blogger templates

Blogger news

Blogroll

ban nha mat pho ha noi bán nhà mặt phố hà nội